Itchy, scaly, dull, rough…. these are all words associated with dry skin. Low humidity along with long hot baths or showers combine to create havoc on the skin. Here are some skin tips that will keep your skin soft, supple, and itch free this winter.
- Don’t take hot showers; instead try luke warm showers. Scorching water has a tendency to strip the body of its moisturizing properties and oils, leaving skin dehydrated. When drying off, pat dry instead of intense rubbing.
- For your face, pick a gentle cleanser like CeraVe, Cetaphil, or Vanicleanser. The Clarisonic sensitive brush head is ideal for dry skin especially in our climate. This Clarisonic allows moisturizing products to penetrate more effectively.
- For body, gentle cleansers like Dove, Cerave, and Aveeno are less harsh.Moisturizers lock in water so it is best to apply moisturizing products directly after cleansing or a showering to trap moisture. Some of our favorite body moisturizers are: Cetaphil Restoraderm, Cetaphil Cream, or Elta MD Moisture-Rich Body Crème (found at HaleyDerm Clear MedSpa).
- Another way to keep skin looking hydrated is to limit sitting to close to a fireplace or heater for long periods of time which also attributes to dry skin. Humidifiers are also great resources to use while sleeping to help keep the air moist.
- Hydrate Hydrate! Aim for 8-10 glasses of water a day. Try adding fresh fruit like lemons, limes, or strawberries to keep it fun!